Now that it looks like we might actually be able to indulge in some cuisine outside of our own kitchens, and who isn’t ready for a break from pretending to be Jamie Oliver?? So we are going to give you the low down on delightful establishments that welcome our furry little friends as well! Whether you are in the mood for just a snack and a cup of coffee or whether you are looking for a more substantial meal we will try and find somewhere to suit everyone….
- The Willy Wicket – this is a favourite of mine! They have a lovely bar/lounge area that welcomes dogs, and also a separate area for dining without dogs, so you feel really comfortable and welcome when you arrive with you pup in tow. The food is fantastic and before the dreaded lockdown hit they did fabulous scallops. I’m hoping they still do!! Mmmmm….
- The Upton Inn – This little gem is hidden off the beaten track on the way to Bath, not only does it welcome dogs but I have seen the odd horse and rider stop off for a drink on a warm day too! The food here is great and they also have entertainment on certain evenings and a quiz night, so in my mind it ticks lots of boxes!
- The Blathwayt Arms – Situated outside Bath, near the Racecourse, this traditional pub offers great food, cosy open fires (in the winter) and they are currently developing 10 guestrooms which will hopefully be open by October…. For those for you, who like me, missed their summer holiday why not treat yourself and your furry friend to a night away!
- Willsbridge Mill Cafe – For those of you who have read our ‘Perfect hot sunny day walks’ blog, you may remember I mentioned Willsbridge Mill as a lovely walk, well it’s even better as it has a cafe with outdoor seating, perfect to rest those weary four paws and a great excuse for a sneaky latte (or perhaps brunch or lunch – they have a lovely menu!)
- Warmley Waiting Room Cafe – This is another great little cafe that is located at the end of a lovely ‘hot sunny day walk’, Warmley Forest Park. With delicious homemade cakes and fresh food daily this place is a must to visit this summer with your poochie, it even has a resident cafe dog called Wilbur and he is adorable! In fact Lexie and I met Wilbur and the owner of the cafe the last time we went walking in Warmley Forest Park. https://www.warmleywaitingroom.co.uk/
- The Swan Swineford – Is a lovely country pub set in the rural outskirts of bath. As well as welcoming dogs (in the bar area, which serves the full menu) they also have a great play area outdoors for the children and a beautiful beer garden, which is a near essential at the moment given the whole social distancing thing!!
- The Hollybush – This is the sister pub of The Swan and also welcomes dogs into the bar area, however if the weather is favourable there are plenty of opportunities to sit outside and enjoy the great British summer!
- Ashton Court Estate Courtyard Cafe – This is a great spot if you are in the mood for a light snack, such as a sandwich, maybe some cake or a lovely ice cream on a hot day and not only does it welcome dogs and accommodate them fantastically, there are also 850 acres to explore – so don’t feel guilty about that slice of cake, you can walk it off afterwards!! Also keep your eyes open for the resident deer, maybe Rudolf is having his summer holiday there!
That’s all for part one, so roll on the 4th July when hopefully we can all venture out a little further, enjoy some tasty food, (that we didn’t have to prepare ourselves) snacks and of course plenty of ice cream with our best friends by our side…
As always we would love to hear and see where you go and what delicious things you have to eat so please share with us on Facebook or this blog, and keep an eye out for part two of Food Glorious Food for lots more suggestions of where to dine with you canine companions!
Just one last thing, a little informal disclaimer if you will, we haven’t checked that all these establishments are definitely going to be open after lockdown eases, so it might be worth a quick phone call, or check their website/social media before you visit just so you don’t end up having a wasted journey and a hungry tummy!!
From Kirsty and all the team at Friends for Pets Bristol and South Gloucester!